Our Forums

HomeForumsCommunityMichael Polanyi’s Tacit Knowledge…Is Faith at the bottom of everything?

Viewing 0 reply threads
Author Posts
    Robert Berger Participant

Michael Polanyi’s Tacit Knowledge…Is Faith at the bottom of everything?

I think that the book by Samuel Gregg at least shows that LOGOS underlies the entire Western Civilization.
    And it has repercussions in religion, public discussion, and science
    Let me quote Pope Benedict to get it going :

” spreading the faith through violence is something unreasonable. Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul. “God”, he says, “is not pleased by blood – and not acting reasonably (σὺν λόγω) is contrary to God’s nature. Faith is born of the soul, not the body. Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats… To convince a reasonable soul, one does not need a strong arm, or weapons of any kind, or any other means of threatening a person with death…”.”

Can we discuss our founding documents…I say Calvin Coolidge poses a world-changing challenge:

If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress.

So, world, and esp you China, do the Uyghurs have religious freedom (even though Islam’s view of irrational God does not allow them to assert the idea of religious freedom)?????????????

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.